I created these instructions out of the frustration of not finding any help online and also never able to get Samsung tech support of the phone (they were always closed when I called). I don't claim to be an expert but this is what worked for me.
*Before starting these steps, you should have already installed your cameras and DVR and have verified that they are working via a locally connected TV/monitor. Ensure that you have your DVR box connected to your home router.
1. Register for a DDNS account with samsungipolis.com.
b. Register for a new account (sign up).
c. Accept both agreements and click next.
d. Complete your registration and then log into your account.
2. On the MY DDNS page, select Product Registration.
a. In the Product ID field pick a unique and easy to remember ID that identifies your DVR setup (i.e. lastname, home1, work1, etc). This will be your host address. (samsungipolis.com/productID example samsungipolis.com/home1)
b. Classification is Urban Security.
c. Model number is SDE-4001
d. Complete Setup
3. Unless you get a new Samsung DVR system, you should not have to go to this site again.
4. On your Samsung DVR, go to the Main Menu > Network and modify note the following fields:
i. Configure a static IP that matches the subnet of your network.
ii. Hit Apply
i. Make a note of the TCP, UDP, and Webviewer port(s). (TCP 4520-4524, UDP 8000-8160, Webviewer 80).
i. DDNS Site: iPOLis
ii. Host Name: www.samsungipolis.com
iii. User Name: Whatever you picked as a unique product ID in 2a.
iv. User Password: You will be unable to fill this in.
v. DDNS Host Address: This should auto fill with samsungipolis.com/productID
vi. Hit Apply
5. Log into your home router.
a. Under Application and Gaming (Linksys/Cisco) click Single Port Forwarding.
i. Application: HTTP
ii. External Port: 80
iii. Internal Port: 80
iv. Protocal: TCP
v. IP Address: The static IP of the DVR you setup in step 4ai.
vi. Enable: Yes (Check)
vii. Click Apply/Save
b. Under Application and Gaming (Linksys/Cisco) click Port Range Forwarding.
i. First Entry (ref step 4b)
1. Application Name: Samsung TCP
2. Start – End Port: TCP port range in step 4b (4520-4524)
3. Protocol: TCP
4. IP Address: Static IP of DVR system (step 4ai.)
5. Enable: Yes (Check)
ii. Second Entry (ref step 4b)
1. Application Name: Samsung UDP
2. Start – End Port: UDP port range in step 4b (8000-8160)
3. Protocol: UDP
4. Enable: Yes (Check)
iii. Click Apply/Save.
6. At this point, you can log into and view your DVR system through a web browser outside of your home network by going to www.samsungipolis.com/productID. You will be prompted for a username/password. The default for this DVR is username ADMIN and password 4321 You should change this password ASAP!
7. Download the Samsung iPOLis App from either iTunes or the Android market.
a. Launch the App after installed.
i. Select Device List
ii. Select Add Device
1. Name: Whatever you want to name it (home, work)
2. Model: SDE 4 Series(08CH)
3. Host: samsungipolis.com/productID (step 2a)
4. HTTP Port: 80 (default)
5. RTSP(TCP) Port: Last port in your TCP port range (step 4ai)
6. Camera: Whatever cameras you want to view
7. ID: Default is Admin
8. Password: Default is 4321
9. Hit Save
8. On the Device List, select your device.
9. Congrats! You should be seeing your camera system.